Senior Program Manager
Title: Senior Program Manager
Status: Regular, exempt position
Reports to: Deputy Director
Location: Portland, OR
Hours: Full time
Starting Salary: $60,000 to $75,000 annually
BACKGROUND & SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
Forth is a nonprofit 501(c)(6) trade association with a closely related 501(c)(3) charity, the Forth Mobility Fund. Forth works to advance electric, smart, and shared transportation in the Pacific Northwest and beyond through innovation and industry development; demonstration and pilot projects; policy advocacy; and consumer engagement. Forth also operates the nation’s first brand-neutral electric mobility showcase, as well as a range of other projects. Learn more on our website.
Our continued growth and increasingly nationwide scope of work has created an opening for a Senior Program Manager to join our team in delivering cutting-edge “new mobility” demonstration projects and programs around the country. This includes a diverse portfolio of projects designed to advance electric, shared, connected and autonomous mobility, often with a special focus on delivering benefits to traditionally underserved communities.
We seek candidates who are focused, organized, enthusiastic about new mobility, and who have demonstrated supervisory experience. Forth is a growing, dynamic organization; the successful candidate will be expected to wear many hats, work independently, and play an active role in the organization’s development.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Team Management (~40%). The Senior Program Manager is responsible for managing a small but growing team of staff responsible for delivering “new mobility” demonstration projects and programs around the country.
- Provide guidance and direction for direct reports ensuring projects are completed on time and efficiently managed
- Lead a team of Program Managers, Program Associates, and contractors to support their initiatives and project milestones; create an inspiring team environment
- Manage performance evaluation and improvement process, including goal setting, annual reviews, and continuing personal development
Program Management (~40%). The Senior Program Manager effectively manage campaigns and projects to advance and promote electric and new mobility solutions.
- Develop and manage demonstration projects relating to shared, connected, electric, and autonomous transportation
- Collaborate closely with cities, transportation companies, electric utilities, and other partners to develop and deliver high quality programming
- Develop strategies and advocate to share best practices and scale their adoption
Business Development (~20%). The Senior Program Manager works with other staff to develop new project ideas and cultivate new sources of funding from governments, transportation companies, and other partners.
- Maintain Forth’s position as a thought leader in utility transportation electrification work
- Maintain knowledge of current industry trends and best practices to identify emerging opportunities and needs
- Develop and refine new project ideas to advance Forth’s mission
- Draft proposals and pitch project ideas to potential funders; lead RFP responses
- Manage client-based consulting and fee for service work, grant funds, and other project funding
- Maintain strong relationships, open communications, and regular reporting with funders
- Communicate any updates or feedback from clients or partners to Forth’s Leadership Team as needed
- A passion for Forth’s mission and values, including our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Bachelor’s degree and 5-7 years of experience in transportation, energy, or related field
- An entrepreneurial approach proven through successful business development or sales experience
- Demonstrated strength in team management; ability to work independently and maintain “big picture” perspective
- Strong ability to motivate team members and assess performance
- Experience working for at least one of these key stakeholders: electric utilities, local governments, or major transportation companies
- Excellent cross-cultural communications skills, both written and verbal
- Willingness and ability to travel regionally, occasionally overnight; valid driver’s license and passport
- An ability to take the work seriously, without taking yourself too seriously
- Experience working for a non-profit organization with a mission-driven staff and board
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple conflicting projects and meeting deadlines while maintaining a healthy work-life balance
- Specific experience with autonomous, connected, electric, or shared mobility strategies
- Advanced degree in a relevant field
Starting salary range is $60,000 to $75,000 commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits include four weeks paid vacation annually, fully paid health, dental and vision insurance for employee and all dependents and an employer retirement contribution after six months (no match required.) We also provide access to electric vehicles for business use.
To ensure full consideration, please apply by January 3 by submitting your resume and cover letter through our HiringThing site. We will continue accepting applications after this date, but cannot ensure all will be reviewed. All candidates will be notified once we have made a hiring decision.
Forth values a diverse workforce. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQI(+) community are strongly encouraged to apply. Forth believes an equitable and inclusive work environment and a diverse, empowered team are key to achieving our mission. We’re looking for candidates who can expand our culture, challenge business as usual, and bring their whole selves to work. We strive to provide those candidates with an equitable and accessible recruitment process. If we can offer accommodations for you in the recruitment process or you have feedback on how to make our recruitment more accessible, please contact Associate Director Gina Avalos at GinaA@forthmobility.org