Senior Manager, Strategic Communications and Partnerships
Status: Regular, exempt position
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Portland, OR (Strongly preferred, but remote considered)
Hours: Full time
Starting Salary: $60,000 to $75,000 annually
BACKGROUND & SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
Forth is a nonprofit 501(c)(6) trade association with a closely related 501(c)(3) charity, the Forth Mobility Fund. Forth works to accelerate the use of smart transportation to move people and goods in a more efficient, cleaner, and equitable way and has grown rapidly to a staff of just under thirty and a diverse membership of over 175 companies and organizations. Learn more on our website and check out our introductory video.
We are seeking a Senior Manager of Strategic Communications and Partnerships to oversee Forth’s “industry network” team. This team’s focus is on elevating our voice as a leader in smart transportation and strengthening partnerships with members, sponsors and funders. The team manages our marketing and communications, our robust program of events and conferences, our business development, and our membership program. The Senior Manager will lead a team of six that is likely to grow in the months ahead, and also serves as a member of Forth’s organizational leadership team.
We seek candidates who have demonstrated supervisory experience and passion for building strong teams; who are focused and organized; who are enthusiastic about smart transportation; and who share our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Forth is a growing, dynamic organization; the successful candidate will be expected to wear many hats, work independently, and play an active role in the organization’s development.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Team Management (~40%). The Senior Manager is responsible for managing a small but growing team of staff responsible for strengthening Forth’s “industry network” through marketing and communications, membership recruitment, events, and business development.
- Provide guidance and direction for direct reports ensuring projects are completed on time and efficiently managed
- Lead a team of Managers, Associates, and contractors to support their initiatives and milestones; create an inspiring team environment
- Manage performance evaluation and improvement process, including goal setting, annual reviews, and continuing personal development
- Serve as an active member of Forth’s organizational leadership team
- Support the Industry Network Committee of Forth’s board of directors
Fundraising and Membership Recruitment (~30%). Forth has an expanding membership of over 175 companies and organizations, a number of events that require soliciting sponsors, and many funding partners. This position will provide strategic direction to Forth’s membership, sponsorship and business development strategies.
- Support Forth’s membership recruitment strategy and process; recruit members
- Help identify sponsor prospects, develop solicitation strategies and close sponsorship agreements for Forth’s major events (Roadmap, tradeshows, member programming)
- Manage Key Account Management system; work with team to strategize partnerships with key members, sponsors and funders
Organizational Marketing and Communications (~30%). Forth is increasingly recognized for its deep expertise in brand-neutral marketing of electric, shared, and connected mobility to consumers, and its innovative projects that deploy new technologies and new business models “on the ground.” This person will oversee the implementation of a communications strategy and program designed to promote Forth’s projects and opinion leadership.
- Guide the development and implementation of communications strategies, campaigns, and products to support organizational goals
- Ensure policies and procedures are in place to promote efficient collaboration between the communications team and other Forth staff
- Ensure that Forth consistently tells a clear story about its mission, vision and value
- A passion for Forth’s mission and values and a desire to deepen your understanding of diversity, equity and inclusion
- Bachelor’s degree and 5-7 years of experience in fundraising, membership, marketing, communications or related field
- An entrepreneurial approach proven through successful business development or sales experience; ability to work independently and maintain “big picture” perspective
- Demonstrated strength in team management; passion for supporting and developing staff
- Strong ability to motivate team members and assess performance
- Excellent cross-cultural communications skills, both written and verbal
- Willingness and ability to travel, occasionally overnight; valid driver’s license and passport
- An ability to take the work seriously, without taking yourself too seriously
- Experience working for a non-profit organization with a mission-driven staff and board
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple conflicting projects and meeting deadlines while maintaining a healthy work-life balance
- Experience working with electric utilities, local governments, or major transportation companies
- Advanced degree in a relevant field
Starting salary range is $60,000 to $75,000 commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits include four weeks paid vacation annually, fully paid health, dental and vision insurance for employee and all dependents and an employer retirement contribution after six months (no match required.) We also provide access to electric vehicles for business use.
To ensure full consideration, please apply by September 9th by submitting your resume and cover letter through our HiringThing site. We will continue accepting applications after this date, but cannot ensure all will be reviewed. All candidates will be notified once we have made a hiring decision.
Forth values a diverse workforce. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQI(+) community are strongly encouraged to apply. Forth believes an equitable and inclusive work environment and a diverse, empowered team are key to achieving our mission. We’re looking for candidates who can expand our culture, challenge business as usual, and bring their whole selves to work. We strive to provide those candidates with an equitable and accessible recruitment process. If we can offer accommodations for you in the recruitment process or you have feedback on how to make our recruitment more accessible, please contact Associate Director Gina Avalos at GinaA@forthmobility.org.