Title: Programs Director
Status: Regular, exempt position
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Portland, OR (Strongly preferred, but remote considered)
Hours: Full time
Starting Salary: $85,000-$100,000 annually
BACKGROUND & SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
Forth is a nonprofit 501(c)(6) trade association with a closely related 501(c)(3) charity, the Forth Mobility Fund. Forth works to accelerate the use of smart transportation to move people and goods in a more efficient, cleaner, and equitable way and has grown rapidly to a staff of just under thirty and a diverse membership of over 150 companies and organizations. Learn more on our website and check out our introductory video.
We are seeking a Director to lead Forth’s “programs” team of about 10 staff. This team’s focus is on designing and delivering a diverse array of projects and programs that increase consumer awareness, overcome market barriers, and demonstrate the benefits of electric and smart transportation, particularly in historically underserved communities. The Programs Director will provide leadership to a diverse team of ten that is likely to grow substantially in the months and years ahead. The Director also serves as a member of Forth’s organizational leadership team.
We seek candidates who have demonstrated supervisory experience and passion for building strong teams; who are focused and organized; who are enthusiastic about smart transportation; and who share our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Forth is a growing, dynamic organization; the successful candidate will be expected to wear many hats, consistently support team members with numerous projects, work independently, and play an active role in the organization’s development.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Team Management and DEI (~40%). The Director is responsible for leading a team that manages a diverse portfolio of projects across the country. This person is expected to coach and support staff in their work, encourage their career development, ensure focus and wise use of resources, and drive outstanding performance.
• Provides guidance and direction for direct reports ensuring projects are completed on time and efficiently managed
• Leads a team of employees and contractors to support their initiatives and milestones; create an inspiring team environment
• Manages performance evaluation and improvement process, including goal setting, annual reviews, and continuing personal development
• Serves as an active member of Forth’s organizational leadership team
• Actively promotes and supports diversity, equity, and inclusion in Forth’s workplace culture and practices, external operations, and interactions with all stakeholders
• Participates in board and committee meetings, as appropriate
Program Development and Management (~30%). Forth is increasingly recognized for its deep expertise in brand-neutral marketing of electric, shared, and connected mobility to consumers, and its innovative projects that deploy new technologies and new business models “on the ground.” These projects range from small one year demonstration projects to multi-year, multi-million dollar programs. This person will oversee a suite of high impact projects and programs to advance Forth’s mission.
• Supports the programs team in all aspects of project development, management, and evaluation
• Guides the development and implementation of project strategies, budgets, business models, and other processes to support meeting organizational goals
• Coordinates process for determining new program direction and defining new projects
• Promotes a high level of coordination and synergy among individual projects and programs and addresses areas of potential conflict
Business Development and Communication (~30%). The Director and their teams work to ensure that individual projects and programs are coordinated into a coherent body of work, and are leveraged to support other aspects of Forth’s work. This person should maintain a high-level of communication across all of the organization’s priority areas and key interest groups.
• Partners with business development staff to raise funds for programs
• Maintains knowledge of current industry trends and best practices to identify emerging opportunities and needs
• Builds broad support for Forth programs and objectives by developing and maintaining collaborative relationships with other key companies, agencies, and individuals
• Maintains and grows Forth’s position as a thought leader
• Coordinates with Senior Leadership team members to promote organizational policy goals and positions, translate programs work into a clear, compelling story and ensure synergy between program efforts and other organizational initiatives
● A passion for Forth’s mission
● Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and understanding of key DEI concepts
● Bachelor’s degree and minimum seven years of professional experience in transportation, energy, or related field
● Ability to work independently and maintain “big picture” perspective
● Demonstrated strength in team management; passion for supporting and developing staff
● Strong ability to motivate team members and assess performance
● Excellent cross-cultural communications skills, both written and verbal
● Willingness and ability to travel, occasionally overnight or internationally; valid driver’s license and passport
● An ability to take the work seriously, without taking yourself too seriously
● Experience working for a non-profit organization with a mission-driven staff and board
● Subject matter expertise in electric transportation or advanced mobility
● Existing relationships with key stakeholders, such as electric utilities, government agencies, and relevant businesses
● Demonstrated ability to manage multiple conflicting projects and meeting deadlines while maintaining a healthy work-life balance
● Advanced degree in a relevant field
Starting salary range is $85,000 to $100,000 commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits include four weeks paid vacation annually, fully paid health, dental and vision insurance for employee and all dependents and an employer retirement contribution after six months (no match required.) We also provide access to electric vehicles for business use.
To ensure full consideration, please apply by May 3 by submitting your resume and cover letter through our HiringThing site. We will continue accepting applications after this date, but cannot ensure all will be reviewed. All candidates will be notified once we have made a hiring decision.
Forth values a diverse workforce. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQI(+) community are strongly encouraged to apply. Forth believes an equitable and inclusive work environment and a diverse, empowered team are key to achieving our mission. We’re looking for candidates who can expand our culture, challenge business as usual, and bring their whole selves to work. We strive to provide those candidates with an equitable and accessible recruitment process. If we can offer accommodations for you in the recruitment process or you have feedback on how to make our recruitment more accessible, please contact Associate Director Gina Avalos at GinaA@forthmobility.org.