Senior Policy Manager
Title: Senior Policy Manager
Status: Regular, Exempt position
Reports to: Policy Director
Location: Hybrid in Portland, OR preferred; Remote in U.S. considered
Hours: Full time
Starting Salary: $75,000 - $90,000 annually
Apply at: https://forth.hiringthing.com
BACKGROUND & SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
Forth is a fast-growing nonprofit with a mission to electrify transportation by bringing people together to create solutions that reduce pollution and barriers to access. Founded in the Pacific Northwest, we now work nationwide. Learn more on our website.
Our continued growth has created an opening for a Senior Policy Manager to lead our work to secure state-level policies that advance clean and equitable electric mobility. The new Senior Policy Manager will lead our longstanding work in Oregon and Washington and guide our expansion into several other states in the coming years.
We seek candidates who are engaging, organized, enthusiastic about policy, comfortable working with diverse consumers, organizational partners, and association members and who share our commitment to racial equity. Forth remains a growing, dynamic organization; the successful candidate will be expected to wear many hats, collaborate and work independently, and play an active role in the organization’s development of policy opportunities.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Policy Development and Advocacy (~60%). The Senior Policy Manager works with the Director and program staff to identify and prioritize key policy changes to advance Forth’s goals, and designs and implements strategic advocacy campaigns to secure those changes.
· Collaboratively identifies and prioritizes policy issues and opportunities in priority states
· Designs campaigns, strategies, and tactics to achieve Forth’s policy objectives
· Implements and manages successful policy campaigns
· Prepares and presents public comments and testimony; directly lobbies elected officials and other decision-makers
· Manages consultants and contract lobbyists as needed
· Maintains knowledge of current industry trends and best practices to identify emerging opportunities, threats and needs
Coalition Building and Education (~30%). The Senior Policy Manager builds broad public and stakeholder support for Forth’s policy goals, and mobilizes the support effectively to secure policy change.
· Organizes and supports bipartisan caucuses of state legislators to learn about and support clean mobility
· Builds relationships and coalitions with diverse organizations to broaden the base of support for our policy goals
· Leads Forth’s engagement with the Clean and Just Transportation Network in Oregon
· Partners with other staff to ensure policy-related messages are integrated into all our programs and communications, as appropriate
· Actively works with Forth’s marketing team to obtain earned media and produce reports, fact sheets, opinion pieces, and other communication tools to support policy proposals
Fundraising and Organizational Management (~10%). The Senior Policy Manager actively cultivates funding support for policy work from foundations, companies, and other sources, in coordination with our fundraising team and other staff. This person is expected to coach and support staff in their work, encourage their career development, and drive outstanding performance and impact in support of Forth’s strategic plan.
· Manages staff and interns
o Provides guidance and direction for direct reports ensuring projects are completed on time and efficiently managed
o Leads direct report(s) and contractors to support their initiatives and milestones; creates an inspiring team environment
o Supports direct report(s) through performance evaluation and improvement processes including goal setting, quarterly reviews, and professional development
o Actively promotes and supports racial diversity, equity, and inclusion in Forth’s workplace culture and practices, external operations, and interactions with all stakeholders
· Seeks financial support from foundations, companies, and other sources; drafts proposals and reports
· Supports strategic planning and program development work
· Participates in board and committee meetings, as appropriate
· Other responsibilities as required
· A passion for Forth’s mission and values
· Five to seven years of experience in advocacy, policy development, or relevant field; Minimum of two years of experience managing direct reports
· Bachelor’s degree or additional four years of experience in a related field
· Demonstrated self-motivation, ability to work independently and in collaboration with internal and external colleagues
· Demonstrated attention to detail without losing a “big picture” perspective
· Demonstrated commitment to racial diversity, equity and inclusion, and understanding of key DEI concepts
· Demonstrated ability to manage multiple conflicting projects, meeting deadlines while maintaining a healthy work-life balance
· Adaptability - Forth operates with a small but growing staff, so the Senior Policy Manager must be flexible and prepared to assist where needed
· An ability to take the work seriously, without taking yourself too seriously
· Willingness and ability to travel in the Pacific Northwest U.S. and nationally, occasionally overnight
· Valid driver’s license and good driving record
· Ability to lift 35 pounds during travel and event setup/breakdown
· Working knowledge of/experience with federal, state, and local government, electric utilities, the electric vehicle field, shared/micro-mobility, transportation, energy, or related fields
· Existing relationships with relevant stakeholders, especially in the Pacific NW region
· Experience working for an elected official, or regulatory agency
· Experience working in a non-profit with a mission-driven staff and board
· Advanced degree in a relevant field
Starting salary range is $75,000 to $90,000 commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits include 160 hours of paid vacation annually, fully paid health, dental and vision insurance for employee and all dependents (or a monthly stipend if covered by other insurance), and an employer retirement contribution of 3% of gross salary after six months (no match required.) We also provide access to electric vehicles for business use.
To ensure full consideration, please apply through our HiringThing site by August 20, 2022. We will continue accepting applications after this date, but cannot ensure all will be reviewed. All candidates will be notified once we have made a hiring decision.
Forth is highly committed to excellence through diversity, to fostering an inclusive and equitable workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development. People of color, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQI(+) candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Forth is committed to responding to accommodation requests from applicants with disabilities, whenever possible.