Title: Communications Manager
Status: Regular, non-exempt position
Reports to: Director of Public Affairs
Hours: Full time
Starting Salary: $35,000 to $45,000 annually
BACKGROUND & SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
Forth is a nonprofit 501(c)(6) trade association with a closely related 501(c)(3) charity, the Forth Mobility Fund. Forth works to advance electric, smart, and shared transportation in the Pacific Northwest and beyond through innovation and industry development; demonstration and pilot projects; policy advocacy; and consumer engagement.
Founded in 2011 as Drive Oregon, Forth rebranded in 2017 to reflect its expanded geographic footprint, greater consumer engagement, and more robust work on connected, autonomous, and shared mobility. Forth now operates the nation’s first brand-neutral electric mobility showcase, as well as a range of other projects. Learn more at forthmobility.org
This continued growth has created the need for a Communications Manager position. The Communications Manager will be responsible for managing our communications and marketing efforts, managing outgoing communications and our online presence, creating and curating collateral, and supporting organizational and project-focused marketing efforts.
The position calls for an organized, outgoing person with strong communication skills. Forth remains a small, dynamic organization; the successful candidate will be expected to wear many hats, work independently, and pitch in as needed.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Organizational Communications and Marketing (~40%). Forth is increasingly recognized for its deep expertise in brand-neutral marketing of electric and advanced mobility to consumers, and its innovative projects that deploy new technologies and new business models “on the ground.” This position manages our marketing and communications strategies, in collaboration with the staff team and outside consultants.
• Manage Forth website: develop strategy, draft updates, manage technical consultants.
• Lead earned media efforts: draft press relations, manage media relations.
• Create content for multiple monthly email newsletters to industry and consumer audiences, develop blog posts, etc.
• Manage central communications calendar to ensure consistent content creation and unified messaging across platforms.
• Curate forms, templates, multimedia content, and collateral material.
• Work with Forth staff and outside consultants to develop and implement communication strategies.
• Other marketing and communications projects as required.
Program Communications and Marketing (~40%). Forth manages a complex array of projects and programs, active policy initiatives in multiple venues, and an ambitious effort to educate consumers about the benefits of electric and advanced mobility. This position provides communications and marketing support to our program and policy teams.
• Draft and develop project collateral and communications strategies, in support of program team; manage consultants, designers, printers, etc.
• Support program staff in developing reports, fact sheets, posters, presentations, infographics, articles, op-eds, and other collateral materials.
• Creates and updates collateral using InDesign, PowerPoint, and other tools.
• Support program and policy staff with communications, media, marketing, and promotion strategies.
Membership, Fundraising, and Events (~20%). Forth has well an expanding membership of over 150 companies and organizations, a mailing list of thousands, and a diverse set of funding partners. Forth hosts regular networking events, webinars, and a major annual conference. This position supports these efforts, and must be flexible and prepared to assist in all aspects of managing a small, dynamic organization.
• Use SalesForce CRM software to build and manage Forth’s database of current and prospective members, newsletter subscribers, colleagues, and other contacts.
• Work with Communications Associate and Office Associate to ensure SalesForce CRM is being used effectively to expand and support membership goals.
• Assist in developing fundraising and sponsorship proposals.
• Leverage increased media coverage and visibility for events and conference participation.
• Support promotion, sponsor recruitment, and delivery of events.
• Support other communications, fundraising, and administrative needs as required.
• A passion for Forth’s mission and values
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills, and demonstrated cross-cultural communications skills
• Strong computer skills and ability to learn new programs and tools
• Demonstrated self-motivation and ability to work independently.
• Minimum two years of relevant work experience in a relevant field or organization.
• Experience with SalesForce or other CRM/database programs, Microsoft Office, social media, InDesign, Google Analytics, and email communications software
• Willingness and ability to travel; valid driver’s license
• Ability to lift at least 35 pounds to assist with event set up
• An ability to take the work seriously, without taking yourself too seriously
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in relevant field
• Knowledge of electric vehicle industry and/or technology
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple conflicting projects, meeting deadlines while maintaining a healthy work-life balance
• Event planning and management experience
Starting salary range is $35,000 to $45,000, commensurate with experience. Benefits currently include 160 hours of paid vacation annually, fully paid health insurance for employee and all dependents (or a monthly stipend if covered by other insurance), an employer retirement contribution of 3% of gross salary after six months (no match required), and an annual bonus up to 10% of base salary. We also provide access to electric vehicles for business use.
To ensure full consideration, please apply by December 28 by submitting your resume and cover letter through our HiringThing site. We will continue accepting applications after this date, but cannot ensure all will be reviewed. All candidates will be notified once we have made a hiring decision.
Forth is highly committed to excellence through diversity, to fostering an inclusive and equitable workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development. People of color, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQI(+) candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Forth is committed to responding to accommodation requests from applicants with disabilities, whenever possible.